2011/02/10

Oh Geno! Thanx to John Hellier.




That man took the stage, his towel was swingin' high, Oh Geno.../ This man was my bombers, my Dexy's, my highs, Ooooooh Geno / The crowd all hailed you, chanted your name but they never kenw like we knew, me and you were the same! And now you're all over, your song is so tame / you fed me, you bred me, I'll remember your name.

So sang Dexy's midnight runners Kevin Rowland, soulboy forever on the classic "Searching for the young soul rebels" when he was thinking about the Ram Jam Band of 1968. We can easily understand the effect of the monster (!) on the very young man. However Geno was not very gifted, he wasn't a songwriter, he wasn't a great singer, he wasn't very subtile and he's ability to sing Romances and Ballads wasn't that impressive BUT he had, more than anyone, energy, soul, fire. Combustion and Explosion.

No comments: