2008/04/28

Ian Brown's gig Brussels review.. AMHO...


I really don't like what I'm gonna write cause I do love the music of this man, the one and only who does organic and machines music which speaks to me. Nothin to add and I won't remove all my thoughts about him but that gig was a true nightmare. Awful sound (What's about the soundcheck?), Too loud balance for the bass (my favourite instrument...), The drummer plays most of the time on Hi-Hat, the Guitar player was inaudible and it looks as a simulation except when he changed to play John Squire's Roses parts... 55 minutes gig and one or two minutes between two numbers... He wasn't in AT ALL and actually, I have the sad feeling he did nothin to get in. The worst was the voice, he couldn't sing at all in the tune and slips away really often... Crowd was however enthusiastic... I don't like that feeling at all. Mike told me he saw him twice, a really poor performance and a great one. I was there on the bad day... Like John Squire wrote when he had some troubles "I still love you", hope he'll be back and blow my mind away...The world is yours but the audience deserves really better, they paid, drove, came for other countries. Anyone really known and famous should remember it before the stage moment... Where were you Monkey king? No one I think was in your tree...





The day before, saturday, I went to Jamie Lidell's gig in Lille. I don't know him a lot and I supposed it wasn't my style but I have to admit he's a good soul singer even if he plays the game sometimes a too easy way for me (easy soul listening? Sticky deep soul moments with a little bit too much sugar).

My So good friend Alex offered the tick for my birthday and first, I thought having a good moment with my mate, one or two beers and a dozen for him (just kiddin, Alex, you drank ten actually). Well... It was a GOOD gig in that style, the guy played really the game and the very small venue hasn't been a problem, he did the show, his job and was very very nice with the audience he really warmed up to the maximum. Very cool after the gig we had a nice chat about his influences (Prince, The Time, Funkadelic, Sly and the Family Stone, could be worst...). I did thank him for showing some respect for the audience. I saw another english band last year and they were so surprised by the venue's size, they played a little bit safe... He didn't. Thanx for that and for the cool at the end of the gig! :) When I went out of the venue, I started to think: Tomorrow, I'll be in brussels...